Saturday, September 12, 2020

Hitting Home


 Hitting Home

Everyone has been affected by the COVID in various ways but for me it was personal. my grandmother was diagnosed with dementia some years ago and has been in the nursing home for about 4 consecutive years. It was already hard on me going away for school and not being able to see here unless I went home, but everything changed when I could not see her at all. the last I saw my granny before COVID happened was during Christmas break. When I went home in March I was heartbroken that I couldn’t see my granny but I could not be selfish because it was for her safety. COVID shifted my grieving process. before, I was already preparing for dementia to take over, but COVID came and changed everything. We could see her at all, maybe a few facetime calls here and there, but they would only confuse her more.  

                                                         

Recently, my granny got pneumonia and was sent to the hospital because her temperature and heart rate was dangerously low. Dementia and infection do not work hand and hand. infections and sicknesses affect her dementia and put her in a different state. My granny was not taking her medicine and she would not eat which was not good. It had gotten so bad, they asked us to come and say our last goodbyes and I did not know how to take it, I mentally shut down. I packed my bags and went to go see my granny. When I got there, I found out, that despite her not taking her medication and eating, her pneumonia had gone away and her heart rate was improving.

Going to see her, I could definitely see what COVID had done to my granny. With us being able to go see her before, COVID we could keep her in reality but with her spending most of the time alone and in bed, she wilted away. But I am thankful for her still being here and being able to see her and talk to her. Even though my granny didn't get COVID,COVID still had the upper hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pop Culture vs. A Pandemic

 Pop Culture vs. A Pandemic     Out of all the pandemic this world has seen, this has to be the most innovative. The world has turned some o...